The co-creator of FarmVille just launched a new gaming studio with an ambitious vision.
And it's being backed by some of the biggest names in venture capital.
- Amitt Mahajan, the co-creator of FarmVille, has just raised $33M USD to launch a new gaming studio called Proof Of Play
- The concept is to build blockchain based games and intellectual property that are user friendly and not based on a play-to-earn model
- The funding round was led by a16z and Greenoaks, with notable participation from angels such as Naval Ravikant, Balaji Srinivasan, Justin Kan and Justin Waldron
Why it matters:
- On chain gaming is one of the most exciting areas of innovation and potential for video game studios and publishers
- The Proof Of Play founding team also includes talent that was formerly at Zynga, Epic Games, EA, Activision and Google
- So far Proof Of Play has only launched one blockchain based game called Pirate Nation but they plan to begin unveiling new projects in the very near future
- Part of the purpose for the large funding round is to enable Proof Of Play to be able to build open source technology for creators to develop on chain games and applications