OpenAI founder Sam Altman, who has been highly praised and critiqued for his ambitions in artificial intelligence, has launched his next big venture: a crypto token called Worldcoin.
What Is It:
- Worldcoin is self described as “the ambition of creating a new identity and financial network owned by everyone"
- In order to receive Worldcoin, you need to visit an Orb- which is a biometric verification device- and scan your iris
- Worldcoin has stated a large part of their mission is to prepare for a future where distinguishing between being a human and being AI will be a concern
Who Is Behind It:
- The founders are Alex Blania, who is the co founder of Tools For Humanity and Sam Altman, founder of OpenAI
- Worldcoin last raised $115M in a Series C round which included investors such as Blockchain Capital, a16z and Bain Capital
- Worldcoin in it’s first few hours of trading is up +30%
- Trading volume has already exceeded over $300M USD